Current Employment Opportunities
The COMO is currently seeking:
Ceramics Art Instructor
The Stonington Community Center, Inc., a nonprofit known locally as the COMO, campus includes a Pottery Studio which has a long legacy of serving as a community resource to the area's potters. The Studio welcomes all levels of interest, from the beginner to the experienced potter, age 3 and up. The primary goal of the Pottery Studio is to encourage individual creative expression. The primary Studio objectives include: providing educational opportunities for personal growth through structured classes and comradery and share an affinity for ceramics.
This contractor position provides ceramics art instruction, beginning through advanced wheel and hand building, at the COMO Pottery Studio, through workshops, classes, socials and event rental. Ceramics Art Instructors, as contractors, work in conjunction with the Studio Manager to ensure a positive, engaging and creative learning experience for COMO participants.
- Develop curriculum and instruct ceramics art classes
- Maintain class and studio records
- Monitor and enforce all studio policies and procedures
- Work collaboratively with the Studio Manager
- Facilitate a positive and safe learning environment
- Maintain a clean and organized studio space
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Established record of expertise in ceramics – hand build, slab and wheel work
- Expertise & aptitude in the proper use and care of all equipment, tools, glazes and clay bodies
- Knowledge of studio safety best practices
- Familiarity of kiln firing, high and low techniques (Studio Manager loads, fires and unloads kiln)
- Skilled communicator
- Organized, efficient and detail-orientated
- Energetic and positive personality with a love of ceramics and art
- Ability to maintain a harmonious studio environment
- Ability to successfully represent the COMO brand and integrate with the team culture
Experience: A minimum of one year experience as a ceramics art instructor within a pottery studio and demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of ceramics are required. A higher degree is preferred.
Substitute Assistant Teacher
Part-time before and after school child care staff, under the supervision of the Head Teacher, is responsible for implementing curriculum and programs in the child care program in accordance with the guidelines set forth by The State of CT Dept. of Public Health. Immediate opening: 7:00-9:00 a.m. Competitive pay. Year round hours available.
Key Roles (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Assist in implementing the curriculum and activities that support youth development and are in accordance with the State of CT, Dept. of Public Health regulation for school age group.
• Work in conjunction with Head Teacher to provide and implement daily programs and activities.
o Assist in the implantation of day-to-day curriculum and activities in the assigned areas.
o Encourage children to participate in a variety of program activities.
• Provide guidance and role modeling for children to assist them in making appropriate choices.
• Complete any other duties as assigned by the Head Teacher or Education Director
Safety and Security
• Help maintain a workspace that is clean and safe.
o Help establish a program setting that ensures the health and safety of all the children.
o Help children keep their area neat and clean.
• Help keep accurate attendance forms for children in the program.
o Is aware of the location of all the children assigned to your activity area at all times.
o Assure that children are signed in and out by parent/guardian.
o Check IDs of pick-up people as necessary.
• Report all incidents and problems to the Head Teacher.
o Properly handle accident and incident reports.
Supervision and Implementation of Program
• Help set up activities every day at the interest centers according to curriculum.
o Make sure that supplies are available and organized for children’s use.
• Be aware of adult to child ratios.
• Assure that any written communication with parents is approved by the Education Director.
• If over 21 years of age with a Public Service license, may be required to drive the Como van for children’s functions.
• Attend and contribute to all scheduled staff meetings.
• Complete and minimum of 1% of total number of hours worked per year for professional development.
• Obtain CPR and First Aid Certifications.
• May be asked to participate in special programs and/or events (i.e. Family Nights, field trips, parent workshops, organization-wide activities, etc.)
• Complete staff orientation
• Adhere to dress code.
• Must be 16 years of age.
• Experience working with children desired.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work with other adult in a group setting.
• Be aware of individual children’s needs, i.e., limitations, allergies, medications.
• Have a current physical (current is no more than 1year old), be willing to have TB test, and be fingerprinted along with background check.
• Have transportation and be willing to travel to another school site.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employee in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives require of employees assigned to this job.
6v6 Soccer Referee
The soccer referee is responsible for officiating adult and high school soccer league games and enforcing the COMO league soccer rules.
• Soccer Referee certification and training
• Must be over the age of 18
Knowledge and skills:
• An understanding of COMO League 6V6 rules and policies
• Thorough understanding of the game of soccer and rules associated with soccer
• Officiate Adult and High School League Games
• Enforce COMO adult and high school league rules
• Enforce penalties and fair play
• Keep track of game time
• Work closely with COMO staff member overseeing the league
• Work with the COMO staff member overseeing the league to record and report incidents to the Athletic Program Manager
• Ensure the safety of all players
The COMO is actively looking for instructors in all areas - from art, pottery and technology to dance, fitness and sports! Qualified candidates are required to complete the COMO Employment Application, with the option of including a resume in addition to the application and submit to email@example.com.