Current Employment Opportunities
The COMO is currently seeking:
Summary of Responsibilities:
Stonington Community Center lifeguards are responsible for the effective and safe operation of duBois Beach from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day. The beach will be staffed daily, weather permitting, when school is out and open on weekends only when school is in session between Memorial day and Labor Day.
In the event of inclement or “iffy” weather, the assistant lifeguard will report to the beach unless they are notified by the Athletic Program Manager that the beach is closed or that there will be a delayed opening. The lifeguard may be asked to perform other duties at the Community Center until such time as the beach may reopen.
● American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification
● American Red Cross First Aid Certification
● American Red Cross CPR Certification
Knowledge and skills:
● Thorough knowledge and application of lifeguard surveillance and rescue techniques.
● An understanding of beach characteristics, rules, policies, and procedures.
● Leadership and public relations skills
● Decision-making skills
● Responsible for the safety and welfare of patrons of duBois Beach during assigned hours.
● Recognize and respond effectively in emergencies.
● Enforce all beach policies, rules, and regulations.
● Maintain beach: seaweed removal, sand raking, trash pickup, and other tasks that keep the beach in pristine shape.
● Maintain safety equipment
● Represent the Stonington Community Center in a professional, helpful, and pleasant manner.
● Positive and friendly interaction with beach patrons.
● At all times while on duty, the lifeguard must wear suits and shirts that clearly identify their status as a guard.
This information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
This middle management full time year round position works under the supervision of the education director. The position requires a minimum of 40 hours per week. Duties include: the planning, development, implementation, supervision and evaluation of all athletic programming and activities;
athletic facility (fields; courts; paddle hut; annex) and equipment maintenance; direct program instruction (tennis & paddle clinics); establishing and maintaining strong relationships with community partners. The athletic program manager also identifies and supervises athletic staff, volunteers and contract personnel. The athletic program manager works in conjunction with the education director to develop and maintain the athletic division’s budget, meeting set goals, identifies resources and promotes the advancement, expansion and excellence of all program offerings. This position is a key member of the COMO team and required to provide support for all COMO fundraising efforts as assigned. The position is directly responsible for maintaining current and introducing new innovative athletic programs for all ages. Given the nature of this position, some evening and weekend hours will be required.
- Maintains a team philosophy promoting and embracing the FISH Philosophy.
- Promotes and maintains a standard of excellence in all programming.
- Identifies and utilizes best practices relevant to the specific population being served.
- Assists with the development of the annual athletic budget; meets and exceeds financial goals.
- Assists with all organizational fundraisers as assigned.
- Actively pursues and administers varied athletic sponsorship funding sources.
- Demonstrates innovative approaches regarding the growth and promotion of the athletic division.
- Develops the Full Service Plan for all athletic programs and activities.
- Develops, implements and evaluates program goals and objectives consistent with the organizational mission.
- Works in conjunction with the Education Director to develop athletic program policies, utilizing best practices.
- Works in conjunction with the part-time Athletic Manager who oversees: Basketball; Soccer; Futsal; Karate; and the seasonal management of duBois Beach
- Coordinates the registration process for all assigned Athletic programming, working collaboratively and proactively with front desk personnel.
- Plans, develops and oversees assigned adult and youth sports programs; identifies/hires proper personnel, score keepers and officials; prepares league rules, code of conduct; coordinates scheduling; maintains effective communication with participants and personnel; oversees expenditures; secures equipment and supplies.
- Provides the Development Team with timely and informative marketing information regarding all components of assigned Athletic division programs, activities and resources.
- Provides timely information and monitors the Athletic program content and sponsorship information on the organization’s website to be updated by the Development Team.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with colleagues and subordinates.
- Develops program curricula to ensure that effective and successful developmentally appropriate programming is provided to all participants.
- Designs and implements weekly Athletic programming within the Education Division’s COMO Kids and Preschool programs.
- Researches, develops and administers inclusive programming.
- Maintains programming data, generate reports and conducts statistical analysis to monitor the fiscal health of all athletic programs.
- Identifies, coordinates, evaluates and maintains effective communication with contract program personnel and community partners.
- Maintains an effective communication network with colleagues, school administrators and personnel, as well as, with local, state and regional partners.
- Serves as back-up sports official and performs all functions of part-time and seasonal personnel as necessary.
- Recognizes and performs other related duties which need to be performed, although not directly assigned.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education: A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Management, Physical Education or related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of 3 to 5 years work, sport and leadership experience within varied athletic settings is required; Experience teaching tennis and paddle tennis to all age groups.
In addition to these basic educational and experience requirements the following competencies and skills are necessary to perform this job successfully:
- Basic understanding of current practices in the delivery of Athletic programs.
- Certifications as a tennis and paddle instructor.
- Basic knowledge of safety protocols in an athletic setting.
- Basic knowledge of athletic program development and implementation best practices.
- Ability to work effectively with supervisors, colleagues, subordinates and partner organizations.
- Ability to provide leadership and direction.
- Ability to work unsupervised and to give direction to personnel under direct supervision.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Proficiency with the use of a computer including Microsoft office word, excel, power point and publisher software programs.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering information skillfully and developing alternate solutions.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Possesses strong organizational and time management skills, meeting commitments.
- Ability to work within approved budgets, developing and implementing cost-saving measures, conserving organizational resources with a desire to contribute to profit and revenue.
- Displays professionalism in all situations, representing the organization in a consistently positive manner, reacting well under pressure and treating others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness with a demonstrated desire to improve and promote quality; actively pursues professional development opportunities.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment easily, consistently follows instructions and responds to management direction.
- Seeks increased responsibilities and solicits opportunities to promote the success of the entire organization.
- Ability to maintain a harmonious work environment with others; respects the role of the team and supports colleagues throughout the organization.
- Must dress appropriately for the work place to promote a consistently professional image with expected frequent public contact and community outreach.
- Must possess a valid state driver’s license with own transportation.
- Must have the ability to apply and obtain a public passenger license.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees. It is not designed to contain, nor is it to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job. This job description is not a contract of employment.
Thrift Store Sales/Material Handler
This part-time position, averaging 8 hours a week, includes weekend hours on Saturday and/or Sunday at the COMO Thrift shop, to assist with customer service and material handling responsibilities in the back room and sales floor of our busy Thrift shop. Highlights of Thrift Store Sales/Material Handler Essential Functions include:
- Greet customers both in the back room and on the sales floor
- Process donations and offer donation receipts
- Maintain organization system in donation area of back room
- Organize sales areas with newly priced items
- Manage flow of markdown item on sales floor
- Handle customer transactions at the register
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Able to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to multi-task in a busy
- Thrift Store setting
Education: High School diploma required.
Experience: Prior customer service experience desired. Please note the successful candidate must reside within 30 miles of the Community Center. In addition to these basic education and experience requirements the following competencies and skills are necessary to perform this job successfully: Positive attitude Team player.
Qualified candidates are required to complete the COMO Employment Application, with the option of including a resume in addition to the application and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ceramics Art Instructor
The Stonington Community Center, Inc., a nonprofit known locally as the COMO, campus includes a Pottery Studio which has a long legacy of serving as a community resource to the area's potters. The Studio welcomes all levels of interest, from the beginner to the experienced potter, age 3 and up. The primary goal of the Pottery Studio is to encourage individual creative expression. The primary Studio objectives include: providing educational opportunities for personal growth through structured classes and comradery and share an affinity for ceramics.
This contractor position provides ceramics art instruction, beginning through advanced wheel and hand building, at the COMO Pottery Studio, through workshops, classes, socials and event rental. Ceramics Art Instructors, as contractors, work in conjunction with the Studio Manager to ensure a positive, engaging and creative learning experience for COMO participants.
- Develop curriculum and instruct ceramics art classes
- Maintain class and studio records
- Monitor and enforce all studio policies and procedures
- Work collaboratively with the Studio Manager
- Facilitate a positive and safe learning environment
- Maintain a clean and organized studio space
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Established record of expertise in ceramics – hand build, slab and wheel work
- Expertise & aptitude in the proper use and care of all equipment, tools, glazes and clay bodies
- Knowledge of studio safety best practices
- Familiarity of kiln firing, high and low techniques (Studio Manager loads, fires and unloads kiln)
- Skilled communicator
- Organized, efficient and detail-orientated
- Energetic and positive personality with a love of ceramics and art
- Ability to maintain a harmonious studio environment
- Ability to successfully represent the COMO brand and integrate with the team culture
Experience: A minimum of one year experience as a ceramics art instructor within a pottery studio and demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of ceramics are required. A higher degree is preferred.
Part-time before and after school child care staff, under the supervision of the Head Teacher, is responsible for implementing curriculum and programs in the child care program in accordance with the guidelines set forth by The State of CT Dept. of Public Health. Immediate opening: 7:00-9:00 a.m. Competitive pay. Year round hours available. Substitute positions are also available.
Key Roles (Essential Job Responsibilities):
Assist in implementing the curriculum and activities that support youth development and are in accordance with the State of CT, Dept. of Public Health regulation for school age group.
• Work in conjunction with Head Teacher to provide and implement daily programs and activities.
o Assist in the implantation of day-to-day curriculum and activities in the assigned areas.
o Encourage children to participate in a variety of program activities.
• Provide guidance and role modeling for children to assist them in making appropriate choices.
• Complete any other duties as assigned by the Head Teacher or Education Director
Safety and Security
• Help maintain a workspace that is clean and safe.
o Help establish a program setting that ensures the health and safety of all the children.
o Help children keep their area neat and clean.
• Help keep accurate attendance forms for children in the program.
o Is aware of the location of all the children assigned to your activity area at all times.
o Assure that children are signed in and out by parent/guardian.
o Check IDs of pick-up people as necessary.
• Report all incidents and problems to the Head Teacher.
o Properly handle accident and incident reports.
Supervision and Implementation of Program
• Help set up activities every day at the interest centers according to curriculum.
o Make sure that supplies are available and organized for children’s use.
• Be aware of adult to child ratios.
• Assure that any written communication with parents is approved by the Education Director.
• If over 21 years of age with a Public Service license, may be required to drive the Como van for children’s functions.
• Attend and contribute to all scheduled staff meetings.
• Complete and minimum of 1% of total number of hours worked per year for professional development.
• Obtain CPR and First Aid Certifications.
• May be asked to participate in special programs and/or events (i.e. Family Nights, field trips, parent workshops, organization-wide activities, etc.)
• Complete staff orientation
• Adhere to dress code.
• Must be 16 years of age.
• Experience working with children desired.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work with other adult in a group setting.
• Be aware of individual children’s needs, i.e., limitations, allergies, medications.
• Have a current physical (current is no more than 1year old), be willing to have TB test, and be fingerprinted along with background check.
• Have transportation and be willing to travel to another school site.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employee in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications, and objectives require of employees assigned to this job.
6v6 Soccer Referee
The soccer referee is responsible for officiating adult and high school soccer league games and enforcing the COMO league soccer rules.
• Soccer Referee certification and training
• Must be over the age of 18
Knowledge and skills:
• An understanding of COMO League 6V6 rules and policies
• Thorough understanding of the game of soccer and rules associated with soccer
• Officiate Adult and High School League Games
• Enforce COMO adult and high school league rules
• Enforce penalties and fair play
• Keep track of game time
• Work closely with COMO staff member overseeing the league
• Work with the COMO staff member overseeing the league to record and report incidents to the Athletic Program Manager
• Ensure the safety of all players
The COMO is actively looking for instructors in all areas - from art, pottery and technology to dance, fitness and sports! Qualified candidates are required to complete the COMO Employment Application, with the option of including a resume in addition to the application and submit to email@example.com.